- From Left: Beth Blissman, Mary Louise Pabello, Catherine Gabriel
Since the early days of its presence here at the United Nations, the Loretto UN office has greatly enjoyed the opportunity to host interns to work alongside our NGO Representative. This internship, filled by a participant of the Loretto Volunteer Program, offers a significant way for those committed to peace and justice to share in the important work of the Loretto UN office. In the past, the position has been filled by both full-year and summer interns and the participants have assisted the office greatly by representing Loretto in NGO Committees and at conferences around the world, writing articles to share their knowledge and experience with the Loretto community, and by assisting in the various tasks of the office.
The Work of an Intern:
Loretto Volunteers who spend a year with Loretto’s UN office have had the opportunity to engage in various unique and engaging opportunities. Here are some examples of past responsibilities and tasks of our interns:
- Represented Loretto and its values within the NGO community at the United nations, especially within the NGO committees on migration, social development, sustainable development and the Working Group on Girls.
- Attended high-level UN dialogues and briefings with ambassadors and diplomats, and reported on those events for Loretto’s larger network
- Coordinated delegations of students from Loretto affiliated high schools to the UN to participate in the Commission on the Status of Women
- Created short films and other media presentations to highlight the international issues Loretto works on
- Attend and report on some of the UN’s international conferences including the 2011 Least Developed Countries conference in Istanbul, Turkey and the UN COP 16 in Cancun, Mexico.
We are so proud that former Loretto Volunteer Mallory Daily is now the Coordinator of the Loretto Volunteer Program!